Hi 5 Anti-Bullying Model
The Hi 5 is an effective way to develop problem-solving strategies for our children. It is a 5 step strategy that can be used in the classroom, on the playground and for perceived bullying incidents.
STEP 1: Ignore
- Pretend you didn’t hear it.
- Do not make eye contact.
- Maintain positive body posture – calm and confident.
- Think positive self-esteem statements.
- Count to five in your head slowly.
- Take deep breathes.
TIP: Use role play to show what ignoring looks like, sounds like and may feel like.
STEP 2: Talk Friendly
- Use a calm voice.
- Maintain eye contact.
- Confident body language.
- Maintain relatively close body proximity.
- Use “I” statements – “I feel… when you… because…”
- “Please leave me alone.”
STEP 3: Walk Away
- Stand tall, head up high.
- Mouth closed.
- Look confident.
- Do not use eye contact.
- Walk somewhere, preferably towards a congested area or to a safety zone (a teacher).
- Do not look back. Walk confidently, but don’t run.
STEP 4: Talk Firmly
- As per Step 2 – Talk Friendly
- Use an assertive voice, slightly raised.
- Tell them to stop it.
- Re-state your “I” statement – “I said…”
- “I asked you to leave me alone.”
STEP 5: Report
- Walk away and tell a staff member.
- Go to a safety zone.
- Bystander – support and report.
- Report, report, report until somebody listens.
REPORTING VS. DOBBING: Reporting is helping/getting yourself out of trouble. Dobbing is trying to get someone in trouble.
Students should in most circumstances attempt to problem- solve themselves first. If unsuccessful after doing Hi 5 steps, then see a staff member.
Immediate reporting situations:
If the issue involves threats to a student’s health or safety – students are to report immediately to a staff member. They are not to try solve these problems themselves.
E.g. In incidents of physical danger, such a child running out of school gates.
Success occurs when children can not only talk the talk but walk the walk.
Here is a printable worksheet which you can use with your child to help teach them the Hi 5 model!